Vitamin D Could Treat Mould Allergy

Sunday 29th August 2010

Vitamin D could be used to treat and prevent an allergic reaction to mould which can worsen the symptoms of asthma and cystic fibrosis, experts claim after scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and University of Louisiana Schools of Medicine found that vitamin D therapies boost the body's immune response to the airborne mold Aspergillus fumigatus.

Researchers explain that whilst inhaling the airborne mould particles does not badly affect most people, it can can trigger a life-threatening allergic reaction known as Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis in some patients with asthma and cystic fibrosis. However, patients undergoing vitamin D therapies showed lower levels of a harmful protein that drives the damaging allergic response and higher levels of a tolerance promoting protein.

Researchers hope that their findings can be used to develop more effective treatments that will help to safeguard the health of the 70,000 people worldwide, living with cystic fibrosis.


Find Allergy Clinics »


« Other News Topics More Allergy News »