Nickel Allergy


Find Allergy Clinics »

Nickel is most commonly found on the wide variety of nickel-plated objects available on the market. These range from jewellery and clothing to kitchen utensils and coins. It is also prevalent in foods such as corn, asparagus, cabbage, beans, peanuts, some types of shellfish, some fruits, and even in some teas.

Avoidance of the non food items is a little less tricky in that you can easily substitute things like wooden or rubber handles for kitchen tools, don’t wear anything nickel plated and avoid jewellery unless it is certified gold or silver. Symptoms of an allergic response can include a red, raised, itchy rash; slight nausea and headache.

If you happen to be allergic to nickel it is best to try and avoid ingesting any foodstuffs that contain a high nickel content. Symptoms of nickel ingestion can include nausea, headache, bloating, rash, loose bowels and fatigue.


« Hair Dye Allergy Rubber Latex Allergy »