Dental Insurance


Find UK Dentists »

Insurance for Dentists

All practicing dentists have to have insurance in order to protect them in case anything goes wrong.  There are two main protection agencies, the DDU and the DPS, both are there to offer support in case of litigation and advice for dentists. 

Insurance for Patients

Although you might not have any dental problems now, in the future it is possible that you will have to pay a lot of money for corrections or treatments.  Costs can easily add up, and dental insurance is a common way for people to be able to afford to get treatment.  Usually the payments will be paid monthly or annually, and can be individual or family based. This all depends on the insurance company.

Dental Insurance Coverage

Dentistry isn’t just reactive to tooth problems, it is also preventative, and as a result any treatment that you might need will be covered by your insurance, whether it is for something that needs immediate treatment, or for corrective treatments.

What you are covered for depends very much on the plan that you choose.  These will vary in price depending on the extent to the coverage and whether it is for private or NHS dentistry. 

When you make a claim for dental treatment you will have to pay the dentist initially, and then make an insurance claim so that you are then be reimbursed the amount necessary by your insurance company.

There are certain things that will not be covered by your dental plan, unless otherwise specified or agreed upon.  Typical treatments that might not be included are:

It is also the case that you may have to pay an excess.  The insurance company may pay 75% of your treatment leaving you to cover the remaining 25%.  Often they will also impose a maximum yearly payout and can place a limit on the amount of money that they will pay.  Some dental insurance companies ask that you are enrolled with them for at least 3 months before they pay out for treatments, although this is not always the case.






Guide to Dental Insurance