Allergy Specialists

What is an allergist?

Allergy specialists, also known as allergists or immunologists, are medically trained professionals who are able to diagnose and help relieve the symptoms of various allergies. After completing years’ worth of university education and medical school, they then go on to be a resident or an intern and are specifically trained in allergies and immunology. Bacteria, parasites and viruses try and attack your body and can cause you to fall ill, sometimes seriously. Allergists study the immune system and how it works to try and prevent or cure these resulting diseases and side effects.

Why should I see an allergist?

If you have any of the following symptoms it is likely that you suffer from an allergy: reactions to certain foods, asthma, hay fever, skin problems (particularly rashes), itchy eyes, reactions to insect stings, anaphylaxis (your body going into shock), reactions to certain medications and drugs. If you experience any of these it is advisable to note down your symptoms and their frequency and make an appointment to see an allergist.

Even if you are aware that you have an allergy and have taken steps to minimise your discomfort it could be a good idea to seek the advice of an allergist. Often the drugs supplied only cover up the symptoms without actually addressing the real problem and cause of your allergy. They can also have side effects, which might be even more uncomfortable and unpleasant to live with than the original allergy.

How do I find a good allergist?

It is easy to find an allergist by using the Internet or the Yellow Pages for example. However, if you want to make sure that you find an experienced and reputable allergist consulting your GP for advice is a good idea. You could also ask at your local health food shop and see if they recommend anyone. The UK society that represents the UK allergy physicians is the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

« Allergy Rash Causes of Allergies »