Girl suffers severe allergic reaction to Tamiflu

Friday 22nd January 2010

There have been numerous concerns over the issuing of Tamiflu and none more so than its potential side-effects. It appears that skeptics were right to be concerned as 19 year old, Samantha Millard, sadly becomes a perturbing message for us all. The teenager took the Tamiflu having called the NHS swine flu helpline; just 3 days later she was hospitalised and placed on a life support machine. One month on, she exposes the truth behind her ordeal and reveals that shockingly she didn’t even have swine flu in the first place.

Just 3 tablets into her course of 10 tablets Samantha developed a red rash that started to blister which rapidly proceeded to cover her entire body, predominantly her mouth, throat, lungs and scalp. It transpired that she had developed Stevens Johnson syndrome which is a life-threatening reaction causing skin to begin peeling off. Furthermore, she then developed the debilitating epidermal necrolysis syndrome which has left her fighting to regain her sight back. It could now take her up to two years to regain her eyesight with a chance that she may not even be able to.

Understandably, Samantha Millard’s mother is looking to take legal action against Tamiflu and also the NHS helpline that provided no warning of any possible side-effects that her daughter could suffer from. A spokeswoman for Roche, the producers of Tamiflu, have expressed their concern and condolences to Samantha and her family but dismiss the case as a tragic rare reaction. However, with Samantha left somewhat disabled by the wrongly prescribed drug, who should the finger point towards? With many medicines there are potential side-effects, and sadly Samantha serves as a poignant reminder of this, but to have suffered this ordeal which wasn’t even necessary, perhaps the finger sways towards the NHS helpline who have already been deemed too quick to issue Tamiflu. Doctors are stressing that it is important people continue to take their Tamiflu medication, particularly in serious cases of swine flu.

« Latest UK Health & Medical News More Allergy News »