UK Schools of Podiatry

To qualify as a podiatrist you will need to attend one of the recognised schools of podiatry here in the UK. These schools can issue a Bachelors in Science in podiatry that will allow for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council and legal podiatric practice here in the UK. Alternative podiatry courses not listed or recognised by the HPC  or podiatric associations like The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists won’t issue a degree recognised by healthcare authorities, and therefore not conferring the right to practice podiatry in the UK.

About the schools of podiatry and course itself

As mentioned about the schools of podiatry provide students with a Bachelors of Science with Honours in podiatry once all of the requirements of the course have been met. All 13 schools in the UK offer courses which are more or less the same because the content is regulated by the HPC and other authorities to ensure that podiatrists graduate with the level of practical experience and theoretical knowledge they need to deliver high quality care.

The course is taught through a series of clinical and taught modules, each of which are assessed. Clinical modules are arranged as placements in either the NHS or private practice, and graduation is dependent on a student satisfying certain criteria during these placements.

The course if usually offered as a full-tie degree lasting 3-4 years depending on the institution in question.

What are the schools of podiatry here in the UK?

Below is a list of the recognised schools of podiatry in the UK, each of which offers a course providing a degree that will allow for registration with the HPC and legal practice here in the UK:

  • The Birmingham Metropolitan College of Further and Higher Education
  • New College Durham
  • The University of Huddersfield.
  • The University of Brighton.
  • The School of Health Sciences at the University of Southampton.
  • The University of Plymouth.
  • The University of Northampton.
  • The University of Salford.
  • The University of East London.
  • The Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh.
  • Glasgow Caledonian University
  • University of Ulster, Northern Ireland.
  • The University of Wales Institute Cardiff.

« How can I become a podiatrist? Why and when would I need to see a podiatrist or chiropodist? »