Dentistry Enquiry

Enter your details for advice & guidance on Dentistry:

Gold Fillings


Find UK Dentists »

Gold is a very good, versatile material to use as a filling material and remains a popular, if expensive choice.  Some people believe it looks better than a dark, silver coloured filling for the molars.  Although its name would imply the filling is pure gold, gold fillings are usually only 75% gold with the other 25% being composed of a mixture of copper, silver, platinum, palladium and zinc.  Gold Filling Fitting Procedure Gold fillings are fitted in a similar way to amalgam fillings and most other filling materials.  First your dentist will examine the area and read through your dental records.  The cavity will be cleaned, and the remaining decayed tissue removed either through drilling or through air abrasion.  Gold fillings are specifically made in a laboratory.

Gold Fillings Advantages

  • Gold fillings can last from 15-30 years due to the durable characteristics of the metal.
  • Gold fillings are often more visibly attractive than amalgam fillings, not being too dark in colour.
  • Gold fillings do not cause any damage to the surrounding tooth once fitted and is normally accepted by the body into the mouth with little complications. 

Gold Fillings Disadvantages

  • Gold is an obviously expensive material, and gold fillings can cost up to 10 times as much as an amalgam filling.
  • Sometimes gold can conduct heat, cold and pressure more so than other materials making the tooth more sensitive. 
  • In rare circumstances a gold filling placed in a tooth next to an amalgam filling can create a reaction between the two metals leading to pain and an increase in saliva, this is also known as a galvanic shock. 
  • Gold fillings are fitted over two visits rather than one, so you will need more treatment by your dentist. 
Gold Fillings are very difficult to fit, and require a lot more work by your dentist to achieve a comfortable and effective filling. 

« Dental Tooth Fillings