Who carries out a Vasectomy?

A vasectomy, when compared to other surgeries and in particular, sterilisation surgeries, is extremely quick and simple to perform. Some people even have their vasectomy operation performed at their local doctor’s office by a GP. Most likely however you will be referred to a surgeon by your doctor.

If you are thinking about getting a vasectomy through the NHS, a lot of the hard work of researching into your surgeon will have been done for you. The NHS only employs properly accredited and trained professionals and as such this should not be a major concern for you.

Some people though will much rather prefer a surgeon who has performed many of these operations before and has become somewhat skilled at it. This means that there is less of a chance that you will experience ‘rough’ surgery, resulting in fewer complications. If you are considering a private healthcare clinic, you will need to choose carefully to make sure that you are not compromising quality for cost. You should be able to be completely open and honest with your surgeon and feel comfortable around them. Most people advise trusting your instincts on this one and going with who ever you feel is right. Don’t be afraid to ask the surgeon questions about his experience and success rates. You may well be given a lot of written material that you can take away and properly read. If it is possible, talk to one of the surgeons previous patients who will be able to give you more personal information.